Monday, February 5, 2007

Needles

This awkward quarter-life crisis I'm going through, along with recent unpleasant experiences with needles*, drove me to get yet another ear piercing - a daith in my left ear. I chose this piercing for its aesthetic value, but after reading about it I also like the idea behind its creation:
The Daith piercing was co-created in 1992 by Erik Dakota and a Jewish woman piercing client with a metaphysical bent ... The woman instinctively understood what the Hindus had been teaching about body piercings for about 3,000 years: that rings left in an orifice of the body act as a "Guardian of the Gate". They can be magically charged at the moment of the pierce to act as a "filter" to what goes into and out from that orifice. In the case of the ear, an appropriately placed and charged ring could filter out all that is nonsense or bullshit and let pass that which is intelligent. Erik and the unnamed woman were guided to create a piercing to do just that and the woman gave it the Hebrew name for intelligence: Daith.
-BME Encyclopedia
Here I display a photo of my 10 earrings:*I had a shot last week, and blood taken the week before. These were rather terrible needle experiences, which got me thinking that piercing is always a positive needle experience.

No comments: