Thursday, February 1, 2007

Pseudo-Indie Hipster-Pop

or maybe it should be pseudo-hipster indie-pop. or semi-elitist pseudo-indie hipster-pop. or semi-elitist pseudo-hipster indie pop.

Whichever it is, I think I may have been listening to it a lot this week. Currently Belle and Sebastian, which was preceded by Gomez (do they count?), and it all began several days ago when The Magnetic Fields' 69 Love Songs took over my CD player (yes, I do still listen to CDs).

This all makes me feel very uncomfortable, because I am not a hipster. I walk a fine line between two groups of people I will never fit in with - the West Philly Hipster crowd, and the Penn crowd. The WPH are closely aligned with another group I was previously on the periphery of, WQHS DJs. This all is best illustrated graphically:

My current musical tastes align me with the west side of this map. I think I prefer the place where my more unique musical tastes (i.e., folk music) place me - off the map.

P.S. Does anyone listen to Live? Not quite the pseudo-whatever-the-hell-it-is that I've been listening to lately, but I did find myself rocking out to When Dolphins Cry today, and also enjoyed several tracks off their Unplugged album.

No comments: