Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Law Books

Last week I started a course at the Law School. Prior to entering said class, I was quite worried. I pictured it something like Legally Blond, where I'd be the only one in there with a pen and everyone else would have laptops. When I got there I realized that all the other planning students had pens, too. What a relief.
However, I was still intimidated by the textbook: A solid red cover with that "law book" look , the title Land Use Controls: cases and materials (Ellickson and Been, Aspen 2005), and really small print. Scary. Turns out, however, that chapter 2 is infinite kinds of entertaining.
I leave you with quotes:

"Note on planners' weighty informational requirements and limited cognitive capacities" (section heading)

"Good planners laid down master plans 10 yrs ago and said that the neighborhoods will produce 600 children. Actually, the neighborhoods are producing only 2/3 of that - perhaps because the residents ride bicycles so much."

"The 1980 plan states that 'it is functionally pointless to attempt reconstruction of the city...population of the US will soon be back up to 100 million, barring resumption of hostilities or unforeseen results of radiation exposure.'"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.